Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pork and Apple Stew

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes

Grade: A-

Make Again: Yes
 
Recipe Source: Everyday Food (January 2003)

I've been trying to make some of my original favorites from Everyday Food. Recipes that I tried when the magazine first came out and that made me love the magazine. This is from the very first issue, and I remember loving this recipe, even though I was skeptical of the apples. I made it several times, but I haven't made it for years.

So, I made it again, and I only used one Granny Smith apple. Unfortunately, the apple part was very unappealing to me this time. I'm not sure why. I cooked it the 10 minutes called for, but I may have cut the pieces too small, because it was very soft.

I'm not sure what I will do the next time I make this. Maybe skip the apples (the potatoes, pork and cabbage are enough) or maybe just use a smaller apple with small pieces that I add at the last moment with the pork so the pieces stay crisp and are just an accent.

Regardless, I will make this again on occasion, because I do like it overall. 

No comments: