Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Applesauce Snack Cake

Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
Cool Time: 1-2 hours

Grade: A-

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Cook's Illustrated (September 2006)
(Find the recipe here: http://www.crumblycookie.net/2009/10/02/applesauce-snack-cake/)

This is a really nice, not too sweet cake. "Snack" cake is a good word for it.

I give it a "-" only because it is a little bit more work than you might think a snack cake should be. You have to cook dried apples in apple cider (or juice) until the juice evaporates. That took about 25 minutes. I was able to prep all other ingredient during that time, but I still had to wait. You are supposed to let the apples come to room temperature before mixing in a food processor with applesauce, but I did not do that. I mixed it with the cold applesauce and it ended up about room temperature.

I forgot the vanilla, but it still tasted very good. I will probably make again, but not very often just because of the time. It is a nice Fall treat.

No comments: