Monday, February 18, 2013

Graham Crackers

Prep Time: 33 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes per pan

Grade: A

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: D.I.Y. Cookbook

I wasn't too interested in this cookbook when I saw it announced by ATK, but I saw it at the library and decided to check it out. I actually really like the book, and am considering purchasing it. Their new layout of cookbooks is much improved over earlier cookbooks, which I hated for many reasons. Also it is a fun read.

Many of the DIY recipes are on the ATK Feed website but the graham crackers are not. These are delicious. Much better than store bought. And very easy to make. The 33 minutes of prep was mostly taken up by the rolling out of the crackers, cutting (or scoring them) and docking them with a fork. I started baking the first pan while still having more to roll out, and it worked fine. I was done with the full recipes in under an hour.

The flavor comes from graham flour, which I found at my store with the Bob Mill's flours. It used 1 1/2 c. of the flour, so I have enough to make the recipe probably 2 more times. Considering graham crackers are so expensive, it may be cheaper to make your own. But really, they taste so much better, I don't think I would want to buy them again. Even for making them just to break up into a crust. (Although if I was going to that, I would skip the scoring step.)

I haven't tried anything else from the book yet, but I will definitely be trying at least a few more recipes. I also would like to try the cinnamon graham cracker recipe as well.

No comments: