Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Gooey Cinnamon Squares

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes

Grade: A

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Smitten Kitchen Cookbook

I don't post recipes from cookbooks here, for various reasons, but you can find this recipe on-line at David Lebovitz's blog.

After not liking the first recipe I tried from the cookbook, it has redeemed itself. This recipe is Deb's take on Snickerdoodles + Gooey Butter Cake. It was listed in the cookie section of the cookbook, but for me it seemed more like a cake.

I had a very tough cooking day on Sunday, making two things I had made before and messing both of them up (one in a small way, and the other in a huge way, rendering it unfit to eat!)

Dinner, which I was hoping would be great, was a bust. I felt the need to try something fairly simple with a high probability of success. My picky eater likes cinnamon, and this sounded good. As long as I didn't forget any ingredients, I thought it would be good.

It probably would take less than 30 minutes to prepare, but I had two things going against me: 1) I was re-reading the directions multiple times to make sure I didn't miss anything and 2) the picky eater was supervising, also making sure I didn't mess up. It probably could be put together in 20-25 minutes for sure.

Anyway, this recipe was a total success. I have never made a gooey butter cake, and it seemed weird putting it together. The bottom layer looked very similar to the gooey layer, and I wondered how it would work. But it worked great. The top of the cake was gooey, but not too gooey. The cinnamon sugar on top was awesome.  This one definitely gets a thumbs up from me and the picky eater!

No comments: