Saturday, January 26, 2013

Classic Gingerbread Cake

Prep Time: 18 minutes
Cook Time: 35-45 minutes

Grade: A-

Make Again: Maybe

Recipe Source: Cook's Illustrated (May 2011)
Recipe Source: America's Test Kitchen (Season 12)

Note: Video and recipe available at 2nd link without subscription, probably for the rest of the year.

I have always been disappointed with gingerbread cakes. They are always too moist and gummy and the flavor isn't what I was looking for. This one was the best I have ever tried. It does have quite a kick though, and my picky eater didn't care for it. I liked the texture however. If I do make again it will be with a tiny bit less ginger. I'm not sure I will make again though, since I was the only what that liked it.

Speaking of the ginger, I came very close to forgetting the dried ginger. (There is also some fresh in the recipe.) I had my 2T measured out, but never mixed it in with the dry ingredients. Instead, after I put the cake in the oven, and started cleaning up, I noticed the ginger on the counter! Thankfully it was in time, and I tried to sprinkle it somewhat evenly over the cake, and then I whisked it in the pan. Because the batter was so thin, I was able to do this and avoid a disaster.

Unfortunately, this forgetting of ingredients is becoming a habit of mine. One I need to break. I made some cupcakes a few months ago with no sugar. Today I made rolls and forgot both the sugar and the salt. They were horrible. I also forgot the salt when I made gnochhi. (Notice none of these recipes have been reviewed yet, because I made such bad mistakes.)

I need to work on better prep, so I don't forget things anymore. It is such a bummer when you put all this effort into something and then realize you messed up too late!

No comments: