Monday, November 28, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie with a Savory Crumble Topping

Prep Time: 50 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

Grade: A

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Cook's Illustrated (Sept 2010)
Recipe Source: The America's Test Kitchen TV Show (Season 11)


Quick, if you have any interest in this recipe, go to the TV Show link and watch the recipe before it moves behind the pay wall. If there is a new season for 2012 of ATK then those videos will be gone when it starts. The recipes are usually available for another year though. If you like pot pies, you should definitely check this one out.

All pot pie recipe's I've seen either have pie dough on top or a biscuit on top. This one is a cross between the two. The topping is quite rich, and also quite delicious. It is made with flour, butter, heavy cream, Parmesan cheese and some pepper. I never make pie crust pot pies, but I will definitely make this one again. The filling is similar to CI's other pot pie recipes, but they do add some soy sauce and tomato paste to add savory flavors which was good.

I did not add the mushrooms, so the prep time might be a bit longer if you use them. I added the soy sauce and paste to the veggie mixture instead. The only problem I had with the recipe was the carrots were not cooked enough. I would cook them longer next time.

This recipe was a winner and got a thumbs up from my picky eater, so I will make it again. It is a bit rich, even with the healthy modifications I made. Those include, using half the butter in the sauce, using 2% milk instead of whole, and all chicken breasts instead of thighs. None of those changes hurt the dish. I left the topping as is, since it is the star of the dish, but you could get by with using less of that also, since it is so rich.
 

1 comment:

Dave P. said...

I made this on the weekend, big hit. the topping is an easier, less fussy item than a rolled out pie crust.