Friday, September 17, 2010

Ultimate Banana Bread

Prep Time: 27 minutes (when using frozen bananas)
Bake Time: 60-75 minutes
Cool Time: 1 hour+

Grade: A

Make Again: Yes


Recipe Source: Cook's Illustrated (July 2010)

Sometimes I moan when I see Cook's Illustrated redo a recipe when I already liked the first recipe. I liked the previous CI version of Banana Bread but I like this one better.

This recipe is really different from the first.  It uses 6 bananas, which is a lot more than most.  You have to heat them up to release liquid, drain it, then reduce the liquid.  This is why the prep time is pretty long for a "quick" bread.  However, much of that time is not involved, so you can do other things.  It is still a simple recipe. 

The 6th banana goes on top, and it makes a very pretty loaf.  Slice the bananas thin or the cooked slices won't be that appealing.  You also sprinkle some sugar on top, which makes it nice and crunchy.  I used a Turbinado sugar which is very large, and works great. 

I have to say, the bread doesn't taste any more banana-y than other banana breads.  I'm fine with that, but I was surprised.  I do like the flavor and texture of this bread. I also like that I don't need to have plain yogurt on hand (which isn't normally in my fridge).   And since I often have frozen bananas waiting to make banana bread, the 6 bananas isn't a problem (the 6th one should be fresh though.)  So I will definitely use this recipe again.

No comments: