Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Hermits

Prep Time: 25 minutes (10 of it waiting for butter to cool)
Cool Time: 90 minutes 
Bake Time: 20 minutes
Cool/Icing Time: 30 minutes 

Grade: B

Make Again: probably not

Recipe Source: Cook's Country (October 2008)

I have two complaints about how this recipe was written.  1) It starts off saying to preheat the oven to 350 in step 1.  Then by step 4 (or something like that) it tells you to wrap dough and stick in refrigerator for 1 1/2 hours!  That is a long preheat.  2)  They tell you to put dough in 10" logs, but don't tell you how wide or how tall the dough should be.  One measurement is not enough.  I need two.  I had to guess.  I made my bars about 1/2" high which seems fine.

These are good, but a little more effort than many other spice cookies that I love.  I hate raisins so I tried them with chopped dates, which I do like.  That worked out well.  I love the ginger in them also.  Again, these are just fine, but if I was craving a spicy cookie, I think I would choose this or this.

No comments: