Monday, February 08, 2010

Whole Wheat Pasta with Fennel and Sausage

Total Time: 35 minutes

Grade: A-

Make Again: Yes

Recipe Source: Cook's Illustrated (March 2010)

It seems like Cook's Illustrated is trying to do some easier recipes recently. That is fine with me. This one is really easy, fast and good. It would have cooked faster if it wasn't for my slow stove top (electric.) If I had a nice gas cook top, I'm sure it would be faster (as would a lot of my cooking.)

I only used 2 tablespoons of oil, and I still felt like this was a little greasy actually. I will do it with 1 T. next time and use some pasta water to stretch the "sauce". I also felt like the 6 T. of garlic was a little bit much, and would probably use half of that next time. Turkey sausage will work here too to make a little lighter.

I didn't have any lemon with me, or fresh basil and it was still good. I think the basil would be nice, but I don't think it needed the lemon. It is definitely a good recipe for whole wheat, and I'll use again. I don't care for raw fennel, but love it when it is cooked, so this is a good recipe for that also.

No comments: